Mayo Clinic Mechanical Ventilation Conference – COVID-19: The Final Take
Course Learning Objectives
Upon conclusion of this program, participants should be able to
- Outline the physiologic principles and cardiopulmonary interactions underlying the risks, benefits, and applications of ventilator support for respiratory failure secondary to COVID-19 infection.
- Describe in detail the use of different modes of ventilator support, invasive and non-invasive, for patients with respiratory failure secondary to COVID-19 infection.
- Describe appropriate use of mechanical ventilation equipment following bio-safety rules and infection prevention measures.
- Integrate pulmonary mechanics at the bedside into a personalized approach to mechanical ventilation for patients with respiratory failure secondary to COVID-19 infection.
Round Table 1:
“COVID-19 associated ARDS [i.e. ‘CARDS’]: What’s New and What’s True?”
- COVID-19 Associated ARDS Phenotypes: Leading or Misleading?Luciano Gattinoni, M.D.
- Happy Hypoxemia in COVID-19 Infection: True or False? Richard A. Oeckler, M.D., Ph.D.
- Excessive Respiratory Drive in COVID-19: How to monitor and treat? Luigi Camporota, MD, PhD
Discussion: Moderators: June Mee Chae, M.D., Gustavo A. Cortes Puentes, M.D.
Round Table 2:
“Non-invasive Mechanical Ventilatory Support and Timing of Intubation in the era of COVID-19”
- Infection Mitigation Strategies in the Use of Ventilatory Support During COVID-19 PandemicSteven R. Holets, R.R.T., L.R.T.
- Non-invasive Ventilatory Support for Patients with Respiratory Failure Secondary to COVID-19 Infection Gustavo A. Cortes Puentes, M.D.
- Patient Self-Inflicted Lung Injury (PSILI): Timing of Intubation Laurent J. Brochard, M.D.
Discussion: Moderators: Bhargavi Gali, M.D., Richard A. Oeckler, M.D., Ph.D.
Round Table 3:
“Dealing with CARDS: Invasive Mechanical Ventilation and Extracorporeal Life Support”
- COVID-19 Associated ARDS: Is a Different Mechanical Ventilation Approach Necessary?John J. Marini, MD
- A Pragmatic Approach to Lung Recruitability in COVID-19-associated ARDS Lise Piquilloud, M.D. (
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Support in COVID-19: Allocation and Nuances in Management Bhargavi Gali, M.D.
Discussion: Moderators: June Mee Chae, M.D., Steven R. Holets, R.R.T., L.R.T.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.